Who’s this for?
- Foundations is for professionals who want a vendor-agnostic method to level up their understanding of and career in smart buildings.
- It’s also for people who would rather not figure it out on their own, and are looking for guidance and others to do it with.
- Finally, this is for people serious about making change in the built environment.
Who’s this NOT for?
- This is not for someone expecting us to go deep into a single building system or one type of technology. That said, we will dive deep into practical and real world examples.
- This is not for someone who’s not willing to invest in their career
- This is not for someone that’s only looking for letters behind their name or a fancy certificate
- This is not for people looking for a magic bullet. Like anything worth achieving, making a real impact requires hard work. Making the payment for this program is only the first step on an exciting journey.
- This is probably not for someone who wants to learn about smart homes or buildings under 25,000 square feet
Where is the value I am getting from the program?
If you join the program, you’ll soon meet Maureen the Mentor and Charlie the Champion. This program is modeled after the experience an ambitious newbie to the industry (Charlie) would have if an experienced veteran (Maureen) took him under her wing.
And since most of us don’t have access to someone like Maureen, the course goes one step further: it provides the tools to mimic Maureen’s guidance long after the program ends.
The first five weeks are centered around how to build and then implement a Smart Building Strategy. Each week also has little goodies sprinkled in:
- Industry history
- Case studies
- Cutting edge technology
- Practical examples
Then, the finale, Week 6, is all about building your personal master plan. How will you use what you’ve learned to make your mark?
What does that look like in practice? The program has four main components:
Educational Content—Each week, we’ll release video lectures that you can watch on your own time
Community Chatroom—Your fellow students (and your instructors) are always available 24/7 in the chatroom for connecting, asking questions, and getting feedback
Weekly Zoom Workshops—We’ll meet live once per week throughout the program so you can ask questions, hear from subject matter experts on that week’s material, and reinforce the lectures
Team Projects—You’ll have the amazing opportunity to join a team to progress through the program with
The result? You’ll have new relationships and you’ll transform your skills. Here are the very specific skills you’ll learn along the way:
- I can identify key stakeholders and conduct interviews to understand them.
- I can assess a building/portfolio for how well existing technology meets key stakeholders’ needs and determine opportunities and obstacles.
- I can lead an exercise that determines specific use cases for new technology and articulate a clear smart building vision.
- I can evaluate new technology and map capabilities to use cases.
- I can put together the business case for the smart building journey.
- I have an evolving plan for making my mark on the industry
Along the way, you’ll learn to use the handy tools we provide in the course to help at each of these steps:
- The Stakeholder Interview Framework
- Persona and Use Case Templates
- The DIY Scorecard
- The Nexus Evaluation Framework
- The Non-fluffy ROI Checklist
- The Smart Building Career Planner
- The Case Study (that ties it all together)
What are my other options for learning this?
There are plenty of other programs, books, and resources out there. Email me at [email protected] and I’ll even send you some to check out.
However, we believe that if your goal is to level up and shortcut that learning curve, Foundations is the #1 choice in the industry.
What will I do inside the program?
You’ll watch the training videos.
You’ll show up to Q&A calls, you’ll ask questions. You’ll take action on your team projects, using the excellent templates and examples we provide you.
You’ll get to know the other rock star changemakers in our private group.
You’ll share your wins and cheer on your peers.
Do I need to recruit building owner/management support to be able to participate in the program?
No, you do not. This is one of the big upgrades we've made to the course for Cohort 2. We now have a case study that you can use to do the assignments each week. That said, the assignments are structured so that they can and should be applied to the real world, so you have that option too.
Will you be running another cohort in 2021?
Yes, there will be a Cohort 3 later on in the year, meaning this isn’t your only chance to enroll. However, assuming we continue to improve the transformation we provide our students, we can’t guarantee that the price won’t increase significantly for future cohorts.
Will I pay back my investment?
Great question. In week five of the program, students learn how to create the business case for smart building technology. At the core is the return on investment (ROI), which needs to be rock solid.
You should absolutely do the math on Nexus Foundations too. Calculate the ROI just as diligently as you would expect a building owner to do when evaluating cutting edge tech.
Here’s some food for thought for that calculation. What if just one idea, tactic, strategy, relationship, template, or tool led to just one of these results:
- Your salary goes up
- Your company wins more projects
- You can charge higher rates
- You waste less time
- Your projects have fewer change orders
- You’re more educated on how to buy technology from your vendors
- You build a better network that you can lean on next time you get stuck
- You build a better career plan
What if I want my money back?
If the topic of a refund is top of mind, please don’t enroll. This is for people who know they want this. That said, we know this is a major financial investment. And we will do everything in our power to make sure you feel supported, and that you succeed. Customer satisfaction is our #1 goal, and we want this decision to be 100% risk-free, so you can focus on learning. If you decide the course didn't deliver on its promise for any reason, just let us know and as long as you've made an effort we'll refund your full payment.
Get reimbursed by your employer
Need help getting reimbursed by your employer? Most large organizations, and many smaller ones, will reimburse tuition for professional development. You can request funding with our handy proposal template.
"I was concerned that my company wouldn't pay, but it was actually an easy ask. I found it was well worth the investment and know my company agrees."
—Cohort 1 student
"Nexus Labs offers a great way for new hires in the building tech space to get up to speed on the trends and terminology as well as the challenges facing our sector. We recently enrolled a new biz dev hire in the program and it really helped them as well as saved our team hours for training time. They were in good hands with James and learned from the other students as well. Well worth it!”
—Shannon Smith, CEO of PointGuard
Email us at [email protected]